Thatta Kedona

Culture is a Basic Need

Stephanie Walter in TGD School

Bookmark and Share

Stephanie Walter


I have been in Thatta Ghulamka Dheroka – a small village in the backwater of Punjab - for almost a month. How time flies! I’ve seen some wonderful attachments of young students with me.’ Teaching English to young children from a rural background is no picnic. But the best thing is that I already have overcome communication barriers.

In my last article I wrote about my colorful magnetic letters and numbers which we put on the doors. Every time one of the girls or I lose one of them as they fall on the ground the girls scream "Oh, No". I say "no problem." Also "no Urdu", respectively "no English" are often used sentences in the School.

I enjoy when young girls try to explain me something in Urdu. They can't believe that I understand only few words in Urdu. So I say only "no Urdu, no English" and the answer is "no English, no English. But we perfectly communicate and go along very well.

Every day morning, on my way to the School the girls meet and greet me not only with "Good Morning" but also with "no problem, no problem" or "no English, no English". I am greeting with Good Morning at 2 PM or even at 8 PM but I enjoy that. Soon I will teach them greeting for the afternoon and evening.

Best thing is that the young students enjoy learning and as much as I enjoy teaching. In the process, they are exposed to English words and phrases and I to Urdu. The process goes on.

Labels: ,

posted by S A J Shirazi @ 9:08 AM,

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Blogger seema gupta said...

Every day morning, on my way to the School the girls meet and greet me not with "Good Morning" and also with "no problem, no problem" or "no English-no English".

Very interesting to read...thanks for sharing
Regards

 
At March 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Blogger Asghar Javed said...

Thanks for stopping by Seema Gupta Ji. This young lady s really doing a wonderul job at exposing the rural students to a new culture and language. Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Popular Posts

How I Work From Home and Make Extra Money?

Why Everyone Blogs and Why You Too Should

Business {Blogging} Proposal

Spencer's Pashmina

Subscribe by Email

Blog Roll